Thursday, August 23, 2012

Foreign Policy: The Meles Zenawi I Knew



by Barry Malone

I once asked Ethiopia's Prime Minister Meles Zenawi, who died on Aug. 20 from an unspecified illness at age 57, whether he was a dictator. He grinned and then, stopping, just looked at me.

More... Nervously, I did what a journalist should never do, and filled the silence.

"A lot of people call you that," I said.

He told me he didn't care much what foreigners thought and that the people who described him that way were rarely his countrymen. "If Ethiopians thought that I was what you say, I would not sleep at night," he said. "But I don't believe they do."


No comments:

Ethiopian can not afford a prolonged war.

Ethiopian can not afford a prolonged war. Ethiopia as the poorest country in the world is dependent on aid. A prolonged war simply depletes ...